Friday, February 21, 2014

St Patrick's Day Cheenies!

TGIF everyone!! Holy Crow I have been knocked out these past couple days. Seriously, I woke up Wednesday morning at 3am and could just tell something was wrong. I'll spare you the details, but it was a horrible day of stomach flu symptoms. It's seriously the worst 24 hours a person can go through physically. I couldn't eat or drink anything, I couldn't stand up because my stomach was in so much pain, and I could barely stay awake. Needless to say, it was terrible. I don't know what's going on, but I had stomach flu this week and a crazy head cold that lasted two weeks right before that. I mean it's so upsetting waking up everyday for weeks and just feeling exhausted and achey and everything hurts.

I'm sooo glad I'm feeling better now. I realized these past weeks that when I'm sick, I hate cooking. Especially if it's a big recipe and I have to stand for a long time, or if theres a ton of steps, my head gets foggy and I mess things up. Plus I feel like you get out of your recipes what you put in, so if you're standing over a mixing bowl blowing your nose, that meal immediately becomes unappetizing. And to top it all off, when I'm sick, I'm never hungry...so cooking is seriously last on my list of things to do. Halleluiah I'm feeling better! Can't wait to bake!!

So one of the few things I like about February, besides Hub's birthday, is that it's short. And that means March gets here that much sooner and that means March 20th gets here that much sooner...that would be the Spring Equinox!! That also means St Patrick's Day is almost here! YAY!!

No I'm not Full Irish on my mother's side or anything like that. My last name does not start with an O'. However, there is a small amount of Irish heritage in my family and I appreciate it. I think the Irish history is fascinating and love that we celebrate this fun holiday every year. Did you know St Patrick's Day was originally started to celebrate the death of St Patrick and has been a holiday for over 1000 years?! Did you also know up until the 1970's bars in Ireland were not permitted to be open on St Patrick's Day?! Crazy.

Since 2009, my Hub and I have been going downtown and celebrating St Patrick's Day like we just came from the Isles ourselves. We head out early in the morning with our good friends and usually make it home by early to late afternoon. We sing, we dance, we wear an obnoxious amount of green and our last stop is always to get some Bangers and Mash. Not my favorite dish, but the people I'm with want it, so I go. One thing I do like to make for the holiday are St Patrick's Day Cheenies!
What are Cheenies you ask? They are my could-be famous Cheesecake Brownies! I use my favorite Fudge Brownie recipe and top it with a quick and scrumptious Cheesecake recipe that is so easy to make. Throw in some green magic and boom! St Patrick's Day Cheenies!
The pictures don't show off just how pretty of a green these are. They kinda look blue on here...just ignore that :) I'm thinking I should bring some of these along for our Day downtown. It's always nice to have food to hand out when green beer is involved :) Personally I stick to the girly apple beers, and I believe this year I will be driving us home, so these can be my treat to myself for not drinking. Sounds great to me!
Ingredients:
Fudge Brownie Recipe
1/2 Cup flour
1/3 Cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 Cup butter
1 Cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cheesecake Recipe:
8oz Cream Cheese, softened
1 egg
1/3 Cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
6-8 drops of green food coloring

1/2 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Handful of green chocolate candies (I used M&Ms)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

For brownies:
Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, cinnamon and baking powder in a medium bowl.

Premix the two eggs just a little bit in a small bowl. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the sugar, mixed eggs and vanilla with a whisk.

Add in the dry ingredients and stir with the whisk until just combined. Pour the batter into your prepared pan.

For cheesecake mix:
Add cream cheese to your mixer and mix on medium for about 1 minute. Add the egg, sugar, vanilla and food coloring and mix for about 2 more minutes. Spoon cheesecake batter over brownie mix.

Sprinkle on the chocolate chips and candies and bake for 48-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.

Allow the pan to cool then place in the fridge until ready to serve. Cut up with a buttered knife and enjoy!!




Are you a St Patrick's Day lover like us? Do you take the day off and go to the local parade like we do? Come back soon for more yummy green treats!

Thanks for stopping by!

**I linked up to weekend potluck, foodie friday, freedom fridays, kitchen fun and crafty friday, thursday style, friday flash blog, bloom designs, the homeacre hoppin it thursday, all things thursday, full plate thursday, wicked awesome wednesday, whats cookin wednesday, wake up wednesdays, some2 tuesday, fluster buster, atozebracelebrations, too cute tuesday, tutorial tuesday, tuesday talent show, create link inspire, share your stuff tuesdays, titus 2 tuesday, the scoop, nifty thrifty tuesday, metamorphosis monday, make it pretty monday, the diy'ers, give me the goods, a frugal crafty hop, much ado about monday, craftomaniac, amaze me mondays, busy mondays, think pink sundays, the best of the weekend party

28 comments:

  1. I will have to try these!! Mr. HodgePodge and I met at a St. Patrick's Day party, so we like to go big every year and celebrate!
    Visiting from That Friday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good! I love brownies...I love cheesecake..what a yummy combination!! Thanks for sharing!

    Deanna {sewmccool.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Sat Night Fever Party. These look delish! Carrie, amothersshadow.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great - I love brownies and these are perfect for St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Thanks for the share! Following from Nifty Thrifty Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so tasty! Green is my favorite color. Thank you for the recipe. 'Found you on SEW-Licious' current link party :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll give these a try. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Visiting from Tasty Tuesday - just pinned this great recipe to my Spring is Here board - Bonnie @ Mom's Lifesavers

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look super easy and delicious! (Seen on Take-a-Look Tuesday.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow these look delicious!!!! I am stopping by from Sarah's blog and wanted to say hello :) Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheesecake and brownies? Those have to be good. Festive looking, too. Thanks for sharing, I'm pinning to my St. Pat's board. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com
    History & Home link party, Tue-Fri, weekly, join in!
    dawnjunkin(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You definitely had me at the whole brownie and cheesecake action! I'm so happy you shared these scrumptious and colorful brownies with all of us at the SSS party this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brownies and cheesecake together sounds heavenly! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These lood fabulous! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you are feeling better. It's funny Just when you asked what a Cheenies I was asking. I love the recipe and will be showing it to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so cute! I love festive treats! Happy early St. Patty's!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Must. Try. These! Thank you for sharing this at DIY Showcase on VMG206. I'm featuring your post today in my 10 St. Patrick's Day Ideas Round Up!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your St. Patricks Day Cheenies look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome post with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh they look sooo good! I love both cheesecake and brownies, so I'm sure I could dive into these. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you're feeling better! Cheenies sound absolutely delicious, combining two of my favorite things. Thank you for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I bet this is delicious, and rich. I love brownies, and cheesecake. Pinning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, these sound so good! What's not to love? I'm sure they'll be a hit everywhere this St Patrick's Day. Thanks so much for linking up to Thriving on Thursdays here in Australia. I'm featuring this one at tomorrow's party.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love these bars - and so did our readers!! You had the most viewed link at last week's Freedom Fridays! :) Thanks so much or joining us - We'll be featuring this tonight! Stop by and grab a button if you would like one! The new party starts at 8:30 pm EST - we hope you'll join us!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These sound amazing!!! Stopping by to pin this and let you know I featured it on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing this recipe at The Pin Junkie. It was featured in a St. Patrick's Day roundup at http://www.thepinjunkie.com/2014/03/st-patricks-day-crafts-and-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks sweetie for always sharing such awesome posts at Freedom Fridays With All my Bloggy Friends each and every week!!! And of course this totally delicious dish was the most viewed link last week!!! You rocked it girlie!!!

    Hugs my Friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, this looks really interesting and yummy. Please allow me to pin this to my board. I was browsing for more St Patrick's Day recipes and so I came to your blog. :) Keep sharing nice posts like this please. thank you so much!

    Xoxo
    Meow
    meowchie.snydle.com/happy-st-patricks-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the name of these, lol! I just created a St Patrick's Day board just to put great recipes and inspiration like this on it :) Thank you for linking up to our Lovely Ladies link party, I've included your cheenies in a fabulous round-up on my blog if you'd like to check it out http://bit.ly/1oi8Vbh
    Happy St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete