Sunday, March 9, 2014

Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

Try saying that five times fast! Heck try saying it one time fast :) Happy Sunday everybody! Hope you are having a couch-filled day like we are. Nothing like watching movies from the 90's and cuddling up to my love all day!

So I had been mulling over this recipe idea all week. I was making some cookies with melted chocolate on them the other day and had a ton of leftover chocolate. I didn't want to throw it out, but I didn't know what to use it for. Funny thing was I was also making a BLT at the time and couldn't get the idea of bacon and chocolate out of my head. I kept asking my friends and family if bacon and chocolate together sounded good. I kept getting stink eyes and worried looks at the idea. I had decided to let it go, but then this morning while making breakfast a chocolate chip fell onto my bacon and I knew it was a sign I had to give it a try...but the recipe needed more. That's where my Dad comes into play for some inspiration.

Growing up we always had huge breakfasts on the weekends. Our big family could easily go through a whole package of bacon and sausage, a whole carton of eggs, a gallon of milk, and 2 boxes of Eggo waffles. 

And my Dad would eat his waffles a little differently than everyone else. He'd put peanut butter on them! As a young kid I remember thinking that was so gross and how could he put anything on waffles besides massive amount of butter and syrup?! I decided I would give it a try and have been hooked ever since! And that is what inspired my idea for Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting!
I thought "If peanut butter is good on waffles, it must be good on bacon...right?" I was so right! The sweetness of the peanut butter mixed with the crunchy saltiness of the bacon complimented by the subtle bitterness from the dark chocolate makes this amazing flavor explosion you never saw coming!
Seriously, these things are absolutely amazing. I mean I ate one and I needed to drink something to help wash it down, but couldn't stop taking bite after bite. I think I inhaled it in about 38 seconds. 
Even my Hub, who rarely if ever likes sweets, devoured one of these. He had the strength to stop and take a drink half way through, though. I don't know how he did it :)
Don't be afraid to try them. I know the combination sounds really weird, but I promise it's worth it. Oh and I was originally going to use chocolate chips, but realized I didn't have enough for the batter and to sprinkle on top, so I just used what I had. Luckily for me, my mother-in-law bought us some Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt for Valentine's Day and I still had some left. Feel free to use your favorite kind of chocolate in this recipe.
I didn't frost all of them just yet. They are perfect even without the frosting and toppings. But don't let that stop you from piling on the peanut butter frosting goodness!
Ingredients:
4 pieces of bacon
1/2 Cup butter
5 squares of Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt (about 1/4 cup)
3/4 Cup flour
1/2 Cup cocoa powder (I use toll house for baking)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 Cup buttermilk*
1 Tbsp syrup

Peanut Butter Frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 Cup peanut butter
2-3 Tbsp powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Syrup and chocolate chips for topping, optional

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.

Start out by filling a large glass with hot water. Place the eggs in the glass to help get them to room temperature. Set aside.

Cook the bacon until super crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Chop into small pieces and set aside.

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside and let cool. 

Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder, and salt in a small bowl and mix up completely.

Stir together the sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Stir in the cooled chocolate butter and whisk together. 

Add in half of the dry ingredients, then half the buttermilk repeating until everything is added. The texture will be light and resemble chocolate pudding.

Fold in the bacon and pour in the syrup.

Divide into the cupcake cups, filling 3/4 full. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool before adding frosting.

Frosting:
Mix cream cheese in mixer on high until smooth. Add in the peanut butter and mix until completely combined. Next add in the powdered sugar and milk one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired frosting thickness. Add in the vanilla.

Add to a piping bag and pipe over the cooled cupcakes. Drizzle on syrup and top with chocolate chips. Dive in and enjoy the culinary experience that is these cupcakes!

*I didn't have buttermilk so I combined 1/2 cup 1% milk and 2 tsp white vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes. Same thing.

Here's a 12 Cup baking pan if you need one :)

Non-Stick Bakeware 12 Cup
This is a great Cupcake Kit!

A Pretty Cupcake Kit
These are the tools I use to decorate with!

Betty Crocker 11 Piece Decorating Kit
Need some Lindt Chocolate?

Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt

Thanks for stopping by!

*I linked up to creativity unleashed, weekend bloggy reading, tickled pink, foodie friday, kitchen fun and crafty friday, friday link party, tidy mom, thursday style, friday flash blog, lovely little link party, the homeacre hop, pin it thursday, all things thursday, full plate thursday, work it wednesday, whats cookin wednesday, wicked awesome wednesday, show me what ya got, create link inspire, tasty tuesday, share your stuff tuesdays, the scoopnifty thrifty tuesdaythe diy'ersmake it pretty mondaymade by you mondaymetamorphosis mondayssunday showcasea marvelous messcarrie this homemuch ado about mondaycraftomaniacamaze me monday

**Recipe adapted from here

17 comments:

  1. Yum, I love the idea of bacon in a chocolate cupcake, I make a brown sugar and bacon muffin that we all love, these cupcakes would be fun to try. I just started a new link-up, Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up and would love to invite you to share your recipe at my linky party. :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for this! I have been wanting to make something with bacon and chocolate but I get the "stink eyes" too! How about chocolate covered bacon?! Anyways I am not a huge fan of cupcakes but everything else in them is calling me so I am making them....pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, sounds wonderful...a little odd with the bacon but I bet they are great! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy!! I would love for you to come link it up at Lovely Ladies Linky! We would love to see what other deliciousness you have to share :) http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/lovely-ladies-linky-link-26/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything is better with bacon--even a cupcake! These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bacon in a cupcake??!! I would have never tried it, but I definitely want to devour this one. It looks absolutely delicious! You just continue to amaze me with your delicious treats!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll eat bacon in anything...come to think of it, I will eat any kind of cupcake...perfect!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate, bacon, peanut butter... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special recipe! I LOVE pb on my waffles...and pb and bacon is a perfect marriage. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome dish at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have touched on all of my hubby's favorite things and wrapped them up in one cupcake. This I will try and I will also try peanut butter on waffles. Who knew?

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS ~ come over and visit me. I am your newest follower.
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate Bacon cupcakes with a peanut butter cream frosting...OMG, it doesn't get much better than this. Will have to try these. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made bacon cupcakes before, but have never thought to combine them with chocolate or peanut butter. I bet they were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bacon in the cupcakes, I just love it and would love one of those cupcakes. Happy St. Patrick's Day to Ya and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, so hungry now, looks so delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this on Worthwhile Wednesdays!
    ~Allie @ http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know some bacon lovers who would go nutso for this recipe. Thanks for sharing and for linking up with us over at Tell it To me Tuesday. We hope you hop on over to link up with us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anything with chocolate and bacon sounds incredible to me. Thanks for sharing on the weekend re-Treat link party. Hope you link up to the party again tomorrow!

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete